As a mom with two young daughters, I love learning about and sharing my mom’s tricks. Anything we can do to make this wild ride a little easier, I’m impressed. You asked for your mom’s best Instagram hack – they are so genius and helpful!
I can’t believe the two girls are actually 9 and 5 years old. (How does this happen?!) This little crew brings me more joy and happiness than I ever thought possible. They defy me and crack me up every day. I’ve been doing solo parenting for longer periods than I’d like while the pilot was away from work, so I’ve definitely come up with some hacks over time. I love mom hacks, life hacks, anything hack so anything to make days easier is a welcome tip in my world.
Especially as the world slows down to “open up,” we resume busy schedules and fill our calendar with summertime activities. We don’t have regular childcare so being a full time mom while running a multifaceted online business is very challenging most days. I reached out to all of you on Instagram to ask them about the best mom/parenting tricks. I will definitely implement some of these myself!
Your best mom hacks
“When my kid wants a toy that I don’t buy, I take a picture of him and send it to Santa.” (We do this too! I say, “Let’s take a picture and add it to your wish list.”)
“I let the kids use bubbles in the kitchen. Then wipe the floor and call it clean.”
“Socks for my youngest child (6 and 8) go through the front door, not their bedroom, to wear as we leave.”
“When stripping beds, use a pillowcase to dust the furniture in the room.”
“I always park my car near the return car, so it’s quick and easy when I get back in the car.”
“If the choice is between two things, I suggest the one you should choose second. It always works.” (Why is this always the case?! It just works)
“I use your car wash hack when I need a minute of quiet!” (I still use this! When everyone’s a little crazy, I’d say, “Hey, we should go wash the car.” Since we’re bathing in colorful bubbles, the kids oh and ooh, I get 3 minutes of quiet, and we all reset after we leave.)
“Have your husband do all the night wakings.” (This. The rule is that when he’s already home, getting up at night is just for him.)
“Apply sunscreen when they are in the car seats and fixed up.”
“Every kid gets one glass of water and it’s the only color they can use all day.” (We need to do this. I find mugs all over the house).
Some of my mom’s favorite hacks:
- Never leave home without water and snacks for everyone in the car, no matter how far or how long we’ll be driving.
- Wash their hair the second you enter the sink. That way, if we have to take them out if they’re fighting, etc, everyone is really clean and ready to go out anyway
- Emergency lollipop. This was huge when they were young, but I always had at least one lollipop in my bag. If someone was a cranky in the grocery store checkout line, I’d have no problem handing them a little sugar to get us through the next five minutes. I don’t like to reward tantrums with sweets but sometimes in emergencies you have to do what you have to do. (Now that my kids are older, I gave my mom an emergency pacifier once or twice. On a plane, I thought my mom would kiss me lol.)
- Always make sure you have some pads in your bag as well for your children or another child who may need one.
- Anything you can pack or do the night before, do it. It makes mornings so much easier when snacks and lunches are already packed, clothes are out, and water bottles are ready to fill.
More mom hackers are here!
Love some daily hacks
So please: drop all your favorite mommy or life hacks on me! I love them!
You can also enjoy: