I love making dinners easy, and making keto slow-cooker chicken mole couldn’t be much easier.
Just add the ingredients to the slow cooker and you’ll have a hot dinner ready for you at the end of the day.
Plus, it’s packed with delicious spice and flavor that cooks slowly and doesn’t require standing over a hot stove for hours.
And don’t forget to make a batch of this keto white cauliflower “rice” recipe to enjoy with chicken mole.
Recipe substitutions and modifications
This keto slow cooker chicken mole recipe is just as delicious as it gets.
However, you may not care about all the ingredients. Or, not all components may be readily available to you. that’s good!
There are many substitutions and modifications you can make, and the recipe will be incredibly tasty.
- Skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts if you prefer. You can also use a combination of chicken thighs and chicken breasts.
- Chicken breasts or bone-in chicken thighs can be used in the recipe. Just be sure to remove and discard the bones before returning the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- If you don’t have chicken broth, you can use beef broth or vegetable broth instead.
- You can use 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic or 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder in place of the garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons of onion powder in place of the onions.
- You can use 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder in place of the cocoa powder. Or you can use 1.5 ounces (42 g) of melted 100% dark chocolate.
- For a lighter dish, omit the chipotle paste and use chili powder.
Other keto-inspired Mexican recipes
And if you’re hungry for more Mexican-inspired recipes, here are a few to tempt your palate:
This slow cooker keto chicken soup recipe will give you all the flavor of enchiladas you love but without the carbs.
And if burgers are your jam, check out Keto Guacamole Chicken Bacon Burgers for a meal your whole family will love.
But if you’re in the mood for a meal with a kick, you should try this Keto Spicy Mexican Meat Pie recipe.
If you’re cooking for a large group or prefer to eat leftovers for days, my Keto Pork Carnitas recipe with lettuce wraps is perfect for you.
And if you thought you’d have to give up tacos when you started the keto diet, you’ll love this Keto Mexican Tacos recipe.
My Keto Chicken Fajita Burrito with Chili Mayonnaise is the perfect recipe that has all the flavors of ready-made food but without all the imprecise ingredients.
And if you are in the mood for a delicious breakfast, then you should try this Mini Keto Breakfast Burrito Wraps recipe.
Or you may prefer this delicious Keto Spanish Frittata recipe for breakfast, lunch, or any time of the day.
Of course, no Mexican-inspired meal is complete without a basic Keto Guacamole and Keto Tortilla Chips recipe.
If you want more Keto Mexican inspired recipes, be sure to check out our 33 Keto tacos recipes totaling dozens!
And don’t forget to check out our 100+ delicious Keto Crockpot recipes for all the easy slow cooker recipes you could want.
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15th ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 medium white onion (2 oz or 55 g), coarsely chopped
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chipotle paste (or 1 small chipotle peppers, seeded (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) almond butter
- 2 tablespoons (12 gramsCocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (12 gramsChili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon (2 gsmoked red pepper
- 1 teaspoon (2 gcumin powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 gCinnamon powder
- 3 Skinless chicken breasts (1.3 lbs or .) 600 grams) (if thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons (2 gchopped fresh coriander (for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons (9 gramssesame seeds (for garnish)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (for garnish)
- Place the tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion, garlic, chipotle paste, almond butter, cocoa powder, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and cinnamon in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (Add a little water to aid mixing, if needed).
- Place the chicken breasts and chicken broth in the slow cooker. Pour over the blended sauce and toss well to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and chop them up with two forks. (If you are using boneless chicken, remove the bone and discard.) Scoop out about half of the sauce and set aside to serve.
- Return the shredded chicken to the remaining sauce in the slow cooker and mix well until combined. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken with the reserved sauce and garnish with optional fresh coriander, sesame seeds and lemon juice if desired.
All nutritional data is estimated based on the amounts of each serving.
Net Carbs Per Serving: 6g
- serving size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 402
- sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 21 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- the basic: 4 g
- protein: 39 grams