Posted by Kalin Denny On 7 July 2021
Balsamic Spinach Salad with Mushrooms and Feta is a delicious choice when you want a low-carb salad for a side dish! And this is the perfect salad to help with Costco’s jumbo spinach packets!
Balsamic Spinach Mushroom and Feta Salad is a recipe inspired by Spinach salad with bacon and feta. I came up with this version years ago when I was cooking dinner regularly for my father and stepmother Norma; She didn’t eat pork, so I used a good brown mushroom instead of bacon. And for many years, this delicious salad recipe has been back in the blog archive with an image that no one is tempted to try!
Then I started buying those big packages of spinach from Costco and realized how hard it is to use that much spinach. And when I remembered this salad, I loved the idea of a meatless spinach salad that was still full of delicious ingredients. I promise, this salad will be a hit with anyone who is a fan of spinach salad, but go ahead and add a bit of bacon if you prefer!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- fresh spinach leaves
- green onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- garlic powder (affiliate link)
- Spike seasoning (affiliate link)
- feta cheese
What can you make with large tubs of spinach?
If you find yourself with one of those big tubs of Costco spinach, make something like Mushroom Egg Frying Pan with SpinachAnd the Breakfast casserole with spinach and goat cheeseAnd the Turkey soup with mushrooms and spinachAnd the Mediterranean shrimp on spinachor the most popular spinach recipe on the blog, Spinach and Egg Mozzarella Bread.
Tips for making this recipe:
- Measure the spinach and place in a salad bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Vita measurement.
- Wash the mushrooms and cut them into thick slices.
- Heat the oil and cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add green onions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and let it simmer.
- Pour the sauce over the spinach and toss.
- Put the salad in a serving bowl and sprinkle the feta.
Make it a low carb meal:
For a low carb meal with balsamic spinach salad, serve it with something like Very Greek grilled chicken دجاج or Chicken kabobs and vegetables with garlic and basil. If you want a meatless dinner, it will taste great Custard bread with Swiss chard and goat cheese or Easy baked tofu.
Yes, I really like spinach salad!
- 8 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and dried if needed (see notes)
- 8 oz. Mushrooms cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 ton + 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Spike seasoning
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the washed spinach in a large bowl, large enough to put the salad in.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic powder and whisk together.
- Feta cheese crumbs and measure the required amount.
- Cut green onions into slices.
- Wash the mushrooms, let them dry, and cut them into thick slices.
- Heat 1 ton of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, or until they are well browned and any liquid from them has evaporated.
- Add chopped green onions and cook 1-2 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
- Add the sauce mixture to the onion/mushroom mixture and let the mixture just come to a simmer, then immediately pour over the spinach and toss.
- Put the salad in a serving bowl, crumble the feta cheese and serve.
Eight cups of spinach leaves equal about 7 ounces of spinach. I used brown cremini mushrooms, but use whatever mushrooms you like best. Use any all-purpose seasoning mix if you don’t have spike seasoning. used My new favorite feta cheese for this recipe.
Recipe adapted from Favorite spinach salad recipe.
Amount per service: Calories: 261Total fat: 17 gramsSaturated fat: 3.8 gramsUnsaturated fats: 0 gramsUnsaturated fats: 11.7 gCholesterol: 11 mgsodium: 355 mgCarbohydrates: 8.8 gramsthe basic: 2.8 gramssugar: 4 gramsprotein: 5 grams
Nutrition information is calculated automatically by the Recipe Plug-In I’m using. I am not a dietitian and cannot guarantee 100% accuracy, as many variables affect these calculations.
Low Carb Diet / Low Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions:
This meatless salad is a great dish for low-carb diet plans and for any phase of the South Beach Diet.
Find more recipes like these:
Uses salad recipes To find more authorities like these. use the Diet type indicator To find more recipes suitable for a particular eating plan. You may also like to Follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest To see all the good recipes I share there.
Historical notes for this recipe:
This salad was first published in 2007, when I was preparing it regularly for my father and mother-in-law Norma. Updated with greatly improved images and better instructions in 2021.